Thursday, October 06, 2005

Blog like He-Man

When I was 5, I used to watch He-Man. Before every show he would yell "I have the power!" and then proceed to punch, kick and bare his chest at his arch-nemesis Skeletor, before beating the pulp out of him.


Writing this blog the past few months, I've had a glimpse of my He-Man strength. For those of you who still don't quite understand the value of blogging, i submit Exhibit A (the web result gif to the left). I wrote a blurb on the convergence of data/voice and its cross-industry impact (a whole week before our announcement of Skype of which I had no knowledge whatsoever) and called it "Battle of the Network Stars 2005".

If you squint really hard, you'll see that on MSN_Search, my blog about something completely unrelated to the TV show came up 30 (10 results per page) out of 881,694 search results for keywords "battle of the network stars". Sad but true, I estimate 10% of traffic to this blog has been driven by this natural-search placement. Similarly, Adam Trachtenberg (chief evangelist on our team) developed a mashup for eBay Motors (check_it_out) which was blogged by Business 2.0. That reference is now 21 out of 10MM results for "eBay Motors" on Google.

Now that's blogging power! So for those of you who are still waiting on the blog fringes, I know its hard to imagine having a top search result on MSN or Google for "Battle of the Network Stars", but all that could be yours ;). If that doesn't convince you to start blogging, nothing will... (Btw, I fully expect to be a top search result for "He-Man" now ;))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares